What an exciting prospect this Summer holds for us all especially in London where millions will descend on the capital in person and billions more will tune it to watch the Summer Olympic Games 2012.
While some will be focussing on their events, for which they have been training all their lives, the staff at Bishopsgate will be working hard and doing everything possible to ensure our normal high level of service.
With the increased volume of visitors to London, not to mention, athletes and Olympic officials it has been well publicised that there will be significant additional traffic and parking restrictions across London and around all Olympic venues countrywide. These will vary and exist during July, August and September. Final details have not yet been released, but additional road closures for official Olympic access only, pedestrianisation near sports venues, side streets shut or with restricted access and additional restrictions on parking and loading bays will occur.
Of course the resulting traffic will be far more congested than normal. This of course will result in significant challenges in making deliveries and installations in the affected areas.
We have been developing our own plans for the period, in consulation with the FTA, RHA & Transport for London. As more information becomes available, we will be able to finalise detailed plans which we will update you on as soon as we can. However, we have provided you with this important update to allow you to review your own business plans now
The key points for the affected areas are:
- Bishopsgate will make additional calls ahead to establish as far as possible if any scheduled delivery is in an affected area and therefore potentially be affected.
- Bishopsgate have ensured additional resources are available in the London area in case relief “out of hours” deliveries are required.
- Bishopsgate will, if needed, call on the extensive resources of large trucks from Ward Thomas Removals Ltd and small vans from Aussie Man and Van. Both these organisations are part of our group.
- Any additional costs which may need to be passed on will be authorised with relevant customers prior to any additional resources being utilised.
- Should Bishopsgate discover any delivery which is not possible prior to or on the day of delivery then this will be communicated immediately to all relevant parties and alternative arrangements made.
- Specialist and tailored services will be available on demand as normal through the period.
Please see below information from ‘Transport for London’ that you may find helpful.
Any businesses receiving deliveries:
1. Postpone non-urgent deliveries – rearrange these for after the Games, when the transport network will be quieter
2. Reduce journeys where possible to the affected areas. Consider reducing deliveries to regular sites by consolidating consignments.
3. Out of hours deliveries – businesses may want to organise deliveries, collections and servicing activity outside normal working hours. Check with your customers and local authority to see if this can be done